Snoots add that desired level of separation between subject and background by severely reducing the diameter of the flash beam, allowing you to exclusively light the subject and preserve a clean, dark background.
Backscatter Optical Snoot OS-1
The new Backscatter Mini Flash MF-1 and Backscatter Optical Snoot OS-1 can turbo-charge your macro creativity by isolating subjects and creating a completely new perspective for your shots.
Why Do You Need A Snoot?
One of the biggest challenges in macro photography is making your subject stand out from the surrounding environment. When using only a single strobe with a broad beam, it is nearly impossible to selectively light just your subject and not all of the sand, reef, and distracting elements nearby. Unless your flash beam is significantly narrowed down, your subject won’t be able to ‘pop’ out from a dark background.
The best way to overcome this challenge is by using a snoot.
Snoots add that desired level of separation between subject and background by severely reducing the diameter of the flash beam, allowing you to exclusively light the subject and preserve a clean, dark background. These classic fundamentals of macro photography add mood to your shots and create a much more dramatic effect. By adding a snoot you can take your ‘standard fish ID shot’ to something that looks ready to hang on a gallery wall.
Key features of the Optical Snoot
- Compatible with the Backscatter Mini Flash & Macro Wide 4300 Video Light
- Easiest to use macro strobe + snoot combination
- LED aiming light of the flash shows exactly where the flash will hit
- Brightest aiming light of any snoot
- Aperture Cards adjust the size of the light beam
- Circular & Oval Aperture Cards included
- Rotate the snoot to adjust the shape of the beam with the Oval Card
- Add on Backscatter Colour Filter Kit